Tuesday, June 4, 2019

When I Heard at the Close of the Day by Walt Whitman: Illustrated

I wanted to experience more of the Love Walt Whitman had for his "my dear friend my lover". When I take my time and soak in his words, I feel so deeply moved by the love and affection he had for his friend and lover. I was discussing Whitman with a friend I've made through AOM the other day. In our chat, we talked about the poem I used in my homage to Whitman. (link) My Friend described so beautifully the affect and influence Whitman has had on us. Here is what he said:

"It is amazing to me what the human body can do. Yes, the wrestlers, the firemen, the farmers, the lifeguards, on and on in so many ways, perform their tasks each day without much fanfare. The mind inside that human frame continues to develop unbelievable solutions to all types of challenges. And most importantly, the soul connects us to one another as brothers and sisters of humanity.

Somehow Uncle Walt brings it all into focus. He wants us to celebrate our humanness. And I also think he wants us to practice the very best we can do to alleviate suffering of any kind."

~Quote from a Friend

Today I am using another poem by Whitman to illustrate. In this poem, Whitman talks about all the good and satisfying things in his life. He mentions his fame and acclaim, his partying, his success, his excellent health, his ecstatic communion with nature but they all pale in comparison with the ecstasy of being with his friend and lover.

plaudits = applause, accolades

~*~

When I Heard at the Close of the Day
by Walt Whitman

"When I heard at the close of the day how my name had been receiv’d with plaudits in the capitol, still it was not a happy night for me that follow’d, 
And else when I carous’d, or when my plans were accomplish’d, still I was not happy, 
But the day when I rose at dawn from the bed of perfect health, refresh’d, singing, inhaling the ripe breath of autumn, 
When I saw the full moon in the west grow pale and disappear in the morning light, 
When I wander’d alone over the beach, and undressing bathed, laughing with the cool waters, and saw the sun rise, 
And when I thought how my dear friend my lover was on his way coming, O then I was happy, 
O then each breath tasted sweeter, and all that day my food nourish’d me more, and the beautiful day pass’d well, 
And the next came with equal joy, and with the next at evening came my friend, 
And that night while all was still I heard the waters roll slowly continually up the shores, 
I heard the hissing rustle of the liquid and sands as directed to me whispering to congratulate me, 
For the one I love most lay sleeping by me under the same cover in the cool night, 
In the stillness in the autumn moonbeams his face was inclined toward me, 
And his arm lay lightly around my breast – and that night I was happy." 
















7 comments:

jsstrand said...

Lovely set of photos - all perfect selections - thank you

Hari said...

Beautifully done, lovely

hlj2002 said...

This post is so full of greatness, it is almost overwhelming.

- The sharing of your passion for this great man and his great work

- Your Friend's perspective is beautiful and inspiring.

- Another amazing piece of work from Whitman. The detail in which he uses makes one actually feel the emotions he is conveying.

- Your selections of photographs seems to perfectly portray the feelings and emotions Whitman is describing.

"... and that night I was happy."


Extremely emotional post!
Thanks!

Robert H. said...

Your selection of pictures perfectly illustrate Whitman's joy and tranquil satisfaction at sleeping with his lover.

Anonymous said...

Para todos mis amigos y amantes.Amigo venezolano,Cucuta

Anonymous said...

Thanks

Anonymous said...

What wonderful pictures of loving couples! They move me.

Artie

Disclaimer

All images and text, unless otherwise noted, were taken from the Internet and are assumed to be in the public domain. If you own rights to an image/text and do not wish your image/text to appear on this blog, or would like for credit to be given, please contact me by E-mail or by leaving a comment and the image/text will be removed or credited immediately. aom soul food morning dew does not endorse the content of blogs or sites which link here or which are accessible from this blog. This blog has no commercial intention whatsoever, is not sponsored or payed for. (E-mail Addy: braomATgmx.com )