Shenandoah
A Beautiful Rendition of this Song
One of the Great American Folk Songs
Popular in Walt Whitman's time
"Shenandoah" (also called "Oh Shenandoah", or "Across the Wide Missouri") is an American folk song, dating to the early 19th century. The lyrics may tell the story of a roving trader in love with the daughter of an Native American chief; in this interpretation, the rover tells the chief of his intent to take the girl with him far to the west, across the Missouri River. Other interpretations tell of a pioneer's nostalgia for the Shenandoah River Valley in Virginia, and a young woman who is its daughter; or of a Union soldier in the American Civil War, dreaming of his country home to the west of the Missouri river. The tune was also used for sea shanties, of sailors longing for home."
I love Sissel's performance of this song
Having the "fiddle" and the "penny whistle"
Gives it a more authentic feel
Sissel Kyrkjebø
"Shenandoah"
Live performance from 2001
YouTube Direct Link: https://youtu.be/W1EG_4IBzbA

4 comments:
This is a lovely version of this beautiful melody - another version that I am particularly fond of is by Peter Hollens whose work I believe you have posted in the past
Watch "Shenandoah - Peter Hollens (A Cappella)" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/0NmKp5A8i3M
Thanks for all the beauty you share with us
WOW, When I read, "Folk Song" "fiddle" "penny whistle" etc, I had a completely different image in my mind.
Beautiful song and performance. Thanks for posting this!
You are right. This is a beautiful version, that might have been heard by Whitman. I've always been partial to the rendition performed a capella by Chanticleer in an arrangement by Marshall Bartholomew, but this version, with simple instruments, is outstanding.
Dulce melodía.Amigo venezolano,Cucuta
Post a Comment