Monday, April 20, 2020

AOM Meditation: 042020


~*~

Hatchet is a novel by Gary Paulsen. It is a survival story of a teen-aged boy named Brian. The story begins with Brian and a pilot flying over the vast Canadian wilderness in a single engine bush plane. During the flight, the pilot suffers a heart attack, loses control of the plane, and crashes into a lake. 

Brian escapes the submerged plane and swims to the shore. That first night, as he tries to sleep, he is viciously attacked by thousands upon thousands of mosquitoes. He fights, wrestles and writhes insane trying to stop the unstoppable mosquito attack. Finally, he surrenders and just takes it. 

Alone, battered and bruised, he just lies there in the dark and takes the attack. Accepting what he could not change did not stop his suffering but he suffered less once he accepted what was.  Later in the story, Brian discovered how to make fire and finds other strategies to combat the mosquitoes. While the mosquitoes were awful to endure, he was able to endure them without the torture because he changed his attitude. He quit fighting and accepted what he could not change. It was only then that he could move on to learn how to make life better for himself.

I've remembered that scene from the book because it is a great example of accepting what is - accepting the things we cannot change. It seems to me we are all in a similar situation today. We are all enduring a period of self-isolation due to the virus. We can't go and do as we once did. We can fight, wrestle, and writhe against our current situation or we can accept what is and find ways to make our current situation more pleasant. It's all a matter of changing our attitudes. Let us see our current situation with new eyes. Rather than focusing on what we can't do, let's focus on what we can. Let's choose to make this time amazing and fun. We have this time to grow in so many different ways. It's all about our perspective - how we see what is. We can make these hard times better. Our Perspective and Attitude are Key. 

~AOM

~*~

Let's Just Go With The FLOW

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Muy bien convertir una mala situación en algo positivo.Amigo venezolano,Cucuta

hlj2002 said...

AOM, Thanks for this eye opening bit of wisdom. You have really put things into perspective and it is extremely helpful to me. I have been on a roller coaster ride during all of this. One day I am ok, the next I am feeling deprived.

"Rather than focusing on what we can't do, let's focus on what we can. Let's choose to make this time amazing and fun."

I have a long list of things I have wanted to do "some day" but put it off because I don't have the time. Well now I do, so why do I find myself just sitting and waiting for this to be over.

Thanks for this inspiration!

Anonymous said...

This is just amazing. Your Friend, David

Your French Patrick said...

If he goes with the flow, he surely has an elastic band at the feet which brings him back very quickly to his starting point. That has a hypnotic effect, and it may be wanted, but I would have preferred to see him appear on my left and disappear on my right... But with only 13 photos...

Hugs and bisous, my darling chéri.

Anonymous said...

I remember that scene of Emile Hirsch in the river in "Into the Wild". Such a cutie.

Disclaimer

All images and text, unless otherwise noted, were taken from the Internet and are assumed to be in the public domain. If you own rights to an image/text and do not wish your image/text to appear on this blog, or would like for credit to be given, please contact me by E-mail or by leaving a comment and the image/text will be removed or credited immediately. aom soul food morning dew does not endorse the content of blogs or sites which link here or which are accessible from this blog. This blog has no commercial intention whatsoever, is not sponsored or payed for. (E-mail Addy: braomATgmx.com )