SUBLIME DIVINE ECSTASY
The best gift of Music I can offer you
This Music inspired today's photo set
This piece starts out really slow at first
And you might say, "BORING - NEXT!"
But STAY WITH IT
It builds and builds and builds
To one of the most intensely sublime climaxes I've ever experienced
This piece starts out really slow at first
And you might say, "BORING - NEXT!"
But STAY WITH IT
It builds and builds and builds
To one of the most intensely sublime climaxes I've ever experienced
I'm asking for 9 and a half minutes
of your time and undivided attention
To truly listen to the finale of
Gustav Mahler's Symphony #2 "Resurrection"
This is the Sound of Ecstasy
Overwhelming, Powerful, Unbridled JOY
And like the drug Ecstasy
You'll probably want to hug and kiss everyone
When you finish listening to it
: )
This symphony depicts judgement day
When all souls are freed from death
To rise to enter into eternal spiritual bliss
Here's an excerpt from what Mahler said:
"...The last trumpet sounds; the trumpets of the Apocalypse ring out. In the eerie silence that follows, we can just barely make out a distant nightingale, a last tremulous echo of earthly life. The gentle sound of a chorus of saints and heavenly hosts is then heard: “Rise again, yes, rise again thou wilt!” Then God in all His glory comes into sight. A wondrous light strikes us to the heart. All is quiet and blissful. Lo and behold: there is no judgment, no sinners, no just men, no great and no small; there is no punishment and no reward. A feeling of overwhelming love fills us with blissful knowledge and illuminates our existence.” (Source)
I first listened to this when I was 15 years old
I'd get tingles down my neck and spine
Everytime I listened to the amazing climax
Now that I am older
I cannot listen to this without tears and gasps
The more I've listen to it,
the more sublime it has become for me
I realize this music may be a bit heavy
But I believe if you really give it a chance
And truly listen to all of it
You will begin to love it, too
Don't let anything stop you
Turn off your phone
Get rid of any distractions
This is supremely special
(It's how I feel about it anyway)
Don't let the slow beginning turn you off
Stay with it
By the end you may (hopefully) be thanking
God, Mahler, YouTube, me - the Universe
: )
I hope you get something special
From your journey with this music
I often suggest that you listen to the music
while you continue viewing AOMMD
Not today
If you have time,
First
Listen and watch Bernstein conduct
(Watching him is a joy in itself)
Then
Listen to it viewing the photo set below
And if you are game
Listen to it viewing the photo set below
And if you are game
Listen again with your eyes closed
The more you hear this music
The more you will get out of it
Quotes from YouTubers about this performance:
-
"Just look at Bernstein's expression...
he's the embodiment of music itself?"
-
"It is perhaps the most sublime comfort music can offer: the hope that there is something beyond, something transcendent. Maybe the belief that we are more than the sum of our parts. Perhaps that spark of the divine that is in each of us found its expression in this music. Whatever it was/is, it is magnificent."
-
"This one symphony has done more to give me strength through hard times than any other music I have ever heard."
-
"I played this for my wife some 15 years ago. She described it as "the angels opening the doors to heaven."
-
"If I hear this live I am sure I would die."
~*~
Only 9 minutes and 16 seconds long
Gustav Mahler
(1860-1911)
Symphony No. 2 in C minor, "Resurrection"
End of Movement 5 (The Finale)
Leonard Bernstein, conducting
Sheila Armstrong, soprano
Janet Baker, mezzo-soprano (she sings first)
Edinburgh Festival Chorus
London Symphony Orchestra
YouTube Direct Link: https://youtu.be/tf5fM1i3MGQ
NOTE: Headphones may give you the best sound quality
Depending on how your audio is set up
Whatever gives you the best sound, go with that
I LIKE IT LOUD!!!!
: )
YouTube Direct Link: https://youtu.be/hBt-zZlUbEY
~*~
There is ampther video of the same performance
That is a bit better video quality
But the audio is just a millisecond behind their movements
So I finally decided to post this one
If you would like to see the other video on YouTube
Here is the link:
YouTube Direct Link: https://youtu.be/tf5fM1i3MGQ
~*~
There is ampther video of the same performance
That is a bit better video quality
But the audio is just a millisecond behind their movements
So I finally decided to post this one
If you would like to see the other video on YouTube
Here is the link:
YouTube Direct Link: https://youtu.be/tf5fM1i3MGQ



3 comments:
Magnificent! I downloaded it prior to playing so that I wouldn't experience any drags I sometimes get from Youtube with my internet connection. Put the headphones on to experience it completely.
At first I was a bit underwhelmed, then that feeling faded fast. Then the feeling was replaced by a strong emotion that begin to grow to the point I thought I was going to explode. I kept thinking this is the climax, but no, it continued to build!
WOW! Thanks for sharing this!
It's what made him stand out as a conductor - his exuberance, his absolute love of the music; one could tell how much it moved him emotionally. It's also what makes a true musician rather than someone who plays an instrument.
I was incredibly fortunate to see these performers 'live" at a concert in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1973. It was my first Edinburgh Festival and the first time I had ever heard the Mahler 2nd Symphony. I still have no idea how I got back to my hotel that night as I was totally transfixed by the music.
The ending, after a long and achingly beautiful experience took me to another level. Bernstein was electric, the orchestra and chorus performed magnificently and Dame Janet Baker and Sheila Armstrong were sublime.
I purchased this recording as soon as it was available. It was recorded in Ely Cathedral which has superb acoustics, but that evening in Edinburgh was the "real thing".
Thank you so much for posting this. Namaste.
Post a Comment