Monday, October 21, 2019

MUSIC: "Vissi d'arte" performed by Angela Gheorghiu

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I sigh each time I hear this beautiful aria
This performance is divine
When I hear it, now having seen CMBYN,
I think this must be the sound of
Elio's spirit expressing his feelings for Oliver

A little background for this aria:

Tosca and the painter, Cavaradossi, are lovers
Cesare Angelotti is an escaped political prisoner
The police are after Angelotti
Cavaradossi has helped hide him
The Chief-of-Police Baron Scarpia has Cavaradossi arrested
They torture him and prepare to execute him
Baron Scarpia tells Tosca
Give yourself to me and I'll free Cavaradossi
Tosca sings this aria as a prayer to God
Asking why God has abandoned her in her hour of need

Lyrics in English:

I lived for art, I lived for love,
I never harmed a living soul!
With a discreet hand
I relieved all misfortunes I encountered.

Always with sincere faith
my prayer
rose to the holy tabernacles.
Always with sincere faith
I decorated the altars with flowers.

In this hour of grief,
why, why, Lord,
why do you reward me thus?

I donated jewels to the Madonna's mantle,
and offered songs to the stars and to heaven,
which thus did shine with more beauty.
In this hour of grief,
why, why, Lord,
ah, why do you reward me thus?


Angela Gheorghiu
"Vissi d'arte" 
from Puccini's opera, Tosca

YouTube Direct Link: https://youtu.be/gnqa94oeGfw


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Esoectacular,Amigo venezolano,Cucuta

hlj2002 said...

An amazing voice!

Thank you for the background on this AND for the lyric translation. Such an emotional ride and a beautiful performance!


Thanks!

Disclaimer

All images and text, unless otherwise noted, were taken from the Internet and are assumed to be in the public domain. If you own rights to an image/text and do not wish your image/text to appear on this blog, or would like for credit to be given, please contact me by E-mail or by leaving a comment and the image/text will be removed or credited immediately. aom soul food morning dew does not endorse the content of blogs or sites which link here or which are accessible from this blog. This blog has no commercial intention whatsoever, is not sponsored or payed for. (E-mail Addy: braomATgmx.com )