The Great Ludwig van Beethoven
HAUNTINGLY BEAUTIFUL YEARNING
We continue with our travel through
Beethoven's 7th symphony.
Today we will listen to Movement 2, Allegretto.
This movement is considered by many to be in the pantheon of the greatest music ever written. Beethoven's 7th was a big hit and the 2nd movement is one of the reasons why - in fact, audiences clamored for it to be played as an encore in 1813 when it was first performed. It became a movement that many orchestras singled out to play all by itself. It is truly one of the most emotional pieces of music every written.
As I listen to this movement,
I feel the deepest yearning and feelings of nostalgia
For this movement
I chose Lenny's performance with the VPO
Ludwig van Beethoven
"Symphony No. 7: 2nd Movement, Allegretto"
Leonard Bernstein
conducting
The Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
YouTube Direct Link: https://youtu.be/J12zprD7V1k
NOTE: The video looks as though it is a broken link
But it works. Just Click Play and video will begin
NOTE: The video looks as though it is a broken link
But it works. Just Click Play and video will begin


7 comments:
Sublime!
Mi dosis diaria de cultura musical.Amigo venezolano,Cucuta
Beautiful performance. A masterpiece!!!
Thanks for this uplifting post.
Incredibly beautiful music.
Beethoven is one of my favorite classic composer.
Bernstein is a wonderful musician but my favorite interpretations of all Beethoven's symphonies and music are from Herbert Von Karajan with the Berlin Symphonic Orchestra.
I have ALL the Beethoven symphonies with Karajan on Deutch Grammophon in vinyl 33rpm and bought the CD ones also.
Greatest of all that Beethoven to me.
Why does it pack such an emotional punch? Pure genius.
I have Symphony #7 performed by The Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, directed by violinist, Joshua Bell. Like you I also describe the melody as hauntingly beautiful. Definitely a treasure of Western Civilization.
Post a Comment