Monday, September 14, 2020

AOM TV: How To Meditate for Beginners

Meditation is very simple
Have no expectations
Just
Sit
Set Timer
Close Your Eyes
Focus on your breathing through your nose
That's it 
 
There are many different ways to Meditate
This is the way I usually use

Sit comfortably with your back straight
You can sit in the lotus position, cross legged, 
sit in chair with your feet on the floor, 
you can sit on your couch, or on your bed
You can even lie down- though this may lead to sleep
I actually do meditate in bed as I go to sleep
 
Once in your comfy position 
Set a timer
This will help you to not think about time
Start out for five minutes
As you progress, increase your time to 10, 20, 30 minutes or more
It is better to Meditate every day for a short amount of time
Than to Meditate a long time a few days a week
Meditation needs to be done every day
In order to gain its benefits

Close your eyes
Pay attention to your breath
Breathing in and out through your nose
Your breath is your anchor
Observe your breath as you inhale and exhale
Notice the sensations of breathing
NOW
Thoughts will come and go
Do not push them away or grab on to them
Never fight or struggle - just let them all go
Just let them arise as they will
Watch them float away
Each time your attention moves to your thoughts or feelings
You may find yourself getting caught up in them
You will catch yourself thinking about all kinds of things
Getting caught up in all kinds of stories
That's okay
No Worries - That is Normal
Do no judge the thoughts or feelings
Do not judge yourself that you got caught up in your thoughts
Just notice you are thinking
The fact that you caught yourself lost in thoughts
Is AWESOME! You are Learning, and strengthening the observer
The more this happens the stronger you will become
The observer in you stopped and noticed
"Hey! I'm thinking - back to the breath"
Then gently move your attention back to your breath
The breath is your anchor
It gives your monkey mind something to do
Just pay attention to your normal, natural breathing
Don't try to affect your breathing
Just breath naturally
Just watch your breathing
That is pretty much it
Just be present in the Here and Now - calm and nonjudgmental 
Stay uninvolved
Just be the watcher - the mindful witness
Just watch - Just Witness
You are not your thoughts or feelings or even your body
You are who is observing
You are the watcher

So to Review:
Sit
Set Timer
Close Your Eyes
Focus on your breathing

Note: You do not need to listen to anything
Some teachers suggest just sitting without sounds or music
I do not usually meditate to music
As I tend to get carried away in the music
I do sometimes meditate with nature sounds
Like a flowing river or waterfalls - white noise 
I also like rainfall without thunder
I don't particularly like bird sounds in my nature soundscapes
They are distracting to me - others may like them
Best of the Best for me
I really enjoy meditating outdoors sitting in a chair
I like to sit shirtless with my bare feet on the grass 
As I focus my attention on my breathing
 I love noticing the sun and breeze on my skin 
Listening to all the sounds in my neighborhood
Just being aware of the sensations and sounds



You can actually meditate anywhere and anytime
Like standing in line in the supermarket
Eyes open but still just focusing on the breath


How To Meditate For Beginners

YouTube Direct Link: https://youtu.be/JslvBcIVtDg

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Muy facil de entender.Amigo venezolano,Cucuta

hlj2002 said...

All of this is very helpful for me, especially what you said:

"getting caught up in all kinds of stories That's okay No Worries... judge yourself that you got caught up in your thoughts Just notice you are thinking... You are Learning, and strengthening the observer The more this happens the stronger you will become The observer in you stopped and noticed "Hey! I'm thinking - back to the breath" Then gently move your attention back to your breath The breath is your anchor"

This is my biggest issue, I distract myself, get frustrated and then it's all over. you suggestion to accept it, return to your breathing and continue will be very helpful.

Also great video, Thanks,

IVI said...

Muchas gracias.

Unknown said...

Thank you very muchI used to think my maditation was finme but you taught
me the right way to go.Tour article is wonderful to me

Disclaimer

All images and text, unless otherwise noted, were taken from the Internet and are assumed to be in the public domain. If you own rights to an image/text and do not wish your image/text to appear on this blog, or would like for credit to be given, please contact me by E-mail or by leaving a comment and the image/text will be removed or credited immediately. aom soul food morning dew does not endorse the content of blogs or sites which link here or which are accessible from this blog. This blog has no commercial intention whatsoever, is not sponsored or payed for. (E-mail Addy: braomATgmx.com )