Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Radio KAOM: Ravel's "Pavane pour une infante défunte" Seiji Ozawa and the BSO

 GLORIOUSLY LUSH BEAUTY!!!







Maurice Ravel 
"Pavane pour une infante défunte"
Boston Symphony Orchestra
Conducted by
Seiji Ozawa















This music opens with a Gorgeous French Horn solo. 

I've always thought this was music for a funeral but upon further thought I think I was wrong. A Pavane  is a slow processional dance common in Europe during the 16th century (Renaissance). Perhaps similar to a bridal procession. In fact, I think this music might be a wonderful choice for a wedding procession. The dance may have had its origins in Northern Italy around the area where Call Me By Your Name was filmed. Because it is a dance, I think we get the meaning of the title wrong - "Pavane pour une infante défunte" or "Pavane for a dead princess". I now don't think it is music for a funeral but rather music that evokes the memory of princesses of far away times - perhaps like the princesses we might see in old paintings. So this music seems to me to be more reminiscing of the past than sorrow for the dead. Regardless of its title or its meaning, this is a masterpiece of gloriously luscious beauty.

YouTube Direct LInk https://youtu.be/XEiUZ-MU4rQ



2 comments:

hlj2002 said...

This is a beautiful performance.
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Super.Amigo venezolano,Cucuta

Disclaimer

All images and text, unless otherwise noted, were taken from the Internet and are assumed to be in the public domain. If you own rights to an image/text and do not wish your image/text to appear on this blog, or would like for credit to be given, please contact me by E-mail or by leaving a comment and the image/text will be removed or credited immediately. aom soul food morning dew does not endorse the content of blogs or sites which link here or which are accessible from this blog. This blog has no commercial intention whatsoever, is not sponsored or payed for. (E-mail Addy: braomATgmx.com )