Thursday, December 13, 2018

AOM Meditation: Listening 121318

this amazing painting is by Lin Jinfu (Jeff Lin)

~*~

When someone is speaking to me
I often catch myself thinking of what I will say
Or judging what they are saying
That's not listening fully
Because my focus is often on me and my thoughts
I want to give my full attention to the person talking to me.
To let them have their say without judging them
I need to show attention
by having appropriate eye contact.
The eyes say more than words can ever express
They are the windows into our souls

Attending to the other person
Shows Respect and Care, Love and Compassion.
It seems like a little thing in the
Pursuit of making a better world
but it is a start
One person at a time
Then watch the ripples of change begin

~AOM

p.s. Some people are more difficult to listen to than others
I'm still working on being there for those folks
Still got work to do
:  )

~*~

“Listening is a gift of spiritual significance that you can learn to give to others. When you listen, you give one a sense of importance, hope and love that he or she may not receive any other way. Through listening, we nurture and validate the feelings one has, especially when he or she experiences difficulties in life.”

~H. Norman Wright

~*~

"Do your best to practice compassionate listening. Do not listen for the sole purpose of judging, criticizing, or analyzing. Listen only to help the other person express himself and find some relief from his suffering."

~Thich Nhat Hanh


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great advice! Active, mindful listening is important.

Anonymous said...

En un mundo de sordos e intolerantes que no escuchan si nos sus razones es muy difícil.Amigo venezolano,Cucuta

hlj2002 said...

I am guilty!!!! I have been told that I do exactly what you have written: 'I am thinking of what I will say and not fully listening to what I am hearing' I try to work on it.

LMAO at " Some people are more difficult to listen to than others..." It is funny because it is true!

Disclaimer

All images and text, unless otherwise noted, were taken from the Internet and are assumed to be in the public domain. If you own rights to an image/text and do not wish your image/text to appear on this blog, or would like for credit to be given, please contact me by E-mail or by leaving a comment and the image/text will be removed or credited immediately. aom soul food morning dew does not endorse the content of blogs or sites which link here or which are accessible from this blog. This blog has no commercial intention whatsoever, is not sponsored or payed for. (E-mail Addy: braomATgmx.com )