Continuing the series
Music from my Childhood
One of my Favorite Songs
I don't believe in labeling people
But it is difficult not to
In a culture that focuses on labeling
With that said
It is no secret
That some people would label me
(even disparagingly by some) as
A Bleeding Heart
Peacenik
Progressive
Liberal
Tree Hugging
Hippie
These terms are supposed to be insults
But I prefer being labeled these
Rather than their alternatives
Labels and stereotypes
Can never describe the whole of a person
We are all so much more complex
In all our various subtle shades and hues
I guess I'd be labeled in this way because
Of my Love for Humanity
My overwhelming desire
To put Love over profit
To reduce suffering in the lives of all people and
To make the world a better place
For all people to live
It was growing up with songs like this
That influenced my thinking
This song in particular
Resonated with my heart and spirit
Influencing me to choose
Peace and Love over fear and greed
Blowin' In The Wind Lyrics
by Bob Dylan
(Peter, Paul and Mary version)
"How many roads must a man walk down
Before they call him a man?
How many seas must a white dove sail
Before she sleeps in the sand?
How many times must the cannonballs fly
Before they're forever banned?
The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind
The answer is blowing in the wind.
How many years must a mountain exist
Before it is washed to the sea?
How many years can some people exist
Before they're allowed to be free?
How many times can a man turn his head
And pretend that he just doesn't see?
The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind
The answer is blowing in the wind.
How many times must a man look up
Before he can see the sky?
How many ears must one man have
Before he can hear people cry?
How many deaths will it take till he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind
The answer is blowing in the wind."
Songwriter: Bob Dylan
~*~
Peter, Paul and Mary
perform
"Blowin' in the Wind"
by Bob Dylan
YouTube Directd Link: https://youtu.be/1Hhi0i0UDS0


2 comments:
Such a great song. I remember listening to this over and over and loved it every time I heard it. Thank you for posting the lyrics. It was not until this morning did I REALLY understand the whole meaning of it. WOW, this was written in 1962 (I had to google to find that) and probably has more meaning today than ever. A timeless and thought provoking song.
I would also like to add, I am proud to have a Friend that is a A Bleeding Heart, Peacenik, Progressive, Liberal, Tree Hugging, Hippie. All things I strive to be as well.
Thanks for sharing this piece of your childhood.
Loved this song when it was released. Still love it. Thanks for putting it up here. Labels like those don't bother me. I actually wear them proudly, like badges. Particularly in times as we are in now.
Post a Comment