Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Gallery AOM: ROBERT JAMES PHOTOGRAPHY


Robert James (Studio James)
Is one of my favorite photographers
It is such a treat to experience his vision
His exquisite lighting and expressive poses
Combine to bring forth 
the truth and beauty of the male form
I highly recommend visiting his deviantArt Gallery (link)

~*~

How Robert Got Started in Photography

"some have asked how I got started in photography. If I had to pick a single photo that started everything for me it was this image. I took a photography class in college just to get the credit. On the first day of class the instructor came into class and made us sign a release form to get the following camera: wish I had that camera today!!!!

then he gave us our first assignment which was to do a portrait of somebody we knew. He followed this by telling us we'd be responsible for buying and developing our own film. We were to be graded on each weekly assignment.

I received an A+ on this first assignment as I had the only emotive portrait in the class (picture above) and he liked the way I used light/shadow. The grade didn't inspire me as much as the idea of capturing private moments in a person's life. right after this class I spent (what was then a fortune) on camera equipment and haven't stopped since.

I wish I could find the negative for this old medium format photo... but all I have left is a scanned print (note: we also had to develop all the prints by hand.... so this is very amateur... I remember the tongs and dipping all the paper in different chemicals... GREAT experience ) This class was the only time I used chemicals to develop my own images.... I wish I'd have kept up this practice... but owning a dark room was very expensive... once the class was done and I didn't have access to a dark room, I trusted companies like Kodak to develop my film. Of course everything today is digital... but it is nice reminisce on the old days.. (grin).

PS - This was not posed... My roommate was studying for a test and I needed a photo by the next morning as I had put off getting this assignment done till the last minute..."

Text by Robert James from his deviantArt Gallery (link)

~*~

the phenomenal artistry of

R O B E R T   J A M E S   P H O T O G R A P H Y
























Visit

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing so much of this photographer’s work and all the background information on him. His work is true artistry. And you are great to showcase him. No wonder your blog is called Artistry of Male. I hope you will do postd lije this with other photographers you admire.

hlj2002 said...

So much talent. This is great photography. Thanks for sharing this artist and his work with us. I am interested in reseaching more. I will be visiting his deviantArt Gallery.

AOM, You bring some much beauty and culture to us... THANKS!

Robert H. said...

Robert James' work truly is extraordinary. He is one of the few photographers who knows how to use darkness,and shadows, as well as light, to show his subjects. His very first picture, of his roommate studying, is a gem.

Anonymous said...

I really do appreciate his work. One comment: I think the choice of the slightly tumescent penis is even sexier than the full-out erection.

Artie

Disclaimer

All images and text, unless otherwise noted, were taken from the Internet and are assumed to be in the public domain. If you own rights to an image/text and do not wish your image/text to appear on this blog, or would like for credit to be given, please contact me by E-mail or by leaving a comment and the image/text will be removed or credited immediately. aom soul food morning dew does not endorse the content of blogs or sites which link here or which are accessible from this blog. This blog has no commercial intention whatsoever, is not sponsored or payed for. (E-mail Addy: braomATgmx.com )