~*~
I know this is difficult
Perhaps the most difficult of all -
To those who hate you
For simply being you
Be gentle with them
Remove all hostility
in your conversations with them.
Be kind and understanding
and compassionate with them.
By being this way you contradict
All they have been taught about you.
It is how we begin to
break down the walls that separate us
It allows us to no longer see each other
As demons or as enemies to fear.
Think how you react
when someone is hostile to you.
Of course we want to be hostile back,
But that is not the way forward.
Kindness is powerful.
It is humanizing.
It is the bridge toward unity
Friendship and community.
The above is from a conversation between Morgan Freeman and Megan Phelps-Roper in the show, The Story of Us. Megan is the granddaughter of the founder of Westboro Baptist Church. She spent her youth carrying those awful signs of hate we've all seen in photos and on television. As a young woman, Megan began to take the message of the WBC on to Twitter. It was through her contact with others on Twitter that she began a conversation with a kind and compassionate man. Through these conversations, Megan was able to break free and change.
~*~
"Today we are inundated by news stories
That make us feel divided
By our different political and religious beliefs.
Our compulsion to sharing news on social media
Only seems to make those issues wider.
We can harness the power of social media for good.
It can be a medium for gentle and patient conversation.
It can help us to find our shared humanity."
~Morgan Freeman from The Story of Us
(Now playing on NetFlix)
~*~
“Now there is a final reason I think that Jesus says, "Love your enemies." It is this: that love has within it a redemptive power. And there is a power there that eventually transforms individuals. Just keep being friendly to that person. Just keep loving them, and they can’t stand it too long. Oh, they react in many ways in the beginning. They react with guilt feelings, and sometimes they’ll hate you a little more at that transition period, but just keep loving them. And by the power of your love they will break down under the load. That’s love, you see. It is redemptive, and this is why Jesus says love. There’s something about love that builds up and is creative. There is something about hate that tears down and is destructive. So love your enemies."
~Martin Luther King Jr.
2 comments:
Poderosa reflexión.Amigo venezolano,Cucuta
Wow, you have given a lot to take in. First of all, I sincerely think that the show "THE STORY OF US" will move up to the top of that list. From what you have posted here, it looks like something I should watch ASAP.
I agree with Martin Luther King Jr. statement, Martin Luther King Jr. "...love has within it a redemptive power." I think the story of Megan Phelps-Roper above is an example of this. Also from my own research as a child, I learned by accident that the best way to bring down a bully in school was to NOT react. Never let them know they pissed you off. Eventually they get bored and move on...I am not sure that qualifies as loving your enemy. I learned that later in life.
Post a Comment