Monday, November 13, 2017

AOM Meditations - Awareness: 111317

Master Bedroom (1965 watercolor) by Andrew Wyeth

~*~

“If, then, I were asked for the most important advice I could give, that which I considered to be the most useful to the men of our century, I should simply say: in the name of God, stop a moment, cease your work, look around you.”

~Leo Tolstoy
(Essays, Letters and Miscellanies)

~*~

“While performing the great majority of the actions in their life, people are totally unaware. We tend to go through our daily activities mechanically. We talk without real purpose. We do things without even knowing that we do them. We are not really present to what we are doing. Even if we practice being aware, entire portions of our days can elapse before we retrieve our thread of awareness. In short, we are not living our life, we are sleeping it.”

~Samuel Sagan
(Regression : Past Life Therapy for Here and Now Freedom)

~*~

“Awareness is not the same as thought. It lies beyond thinking, although it makes use of thinking, honoring its value and its power. Awareness is more like a vessel which can hold and contain our thinking, helping us to see and know our thoughts as thoughts rather than getting caught up in them in reality.”

~Jon Kabat-Zinn
(Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life)

~*~

Your brain is regularly inhibited by aversion, apprehension, greed, and fear. Mindfulness exercises can help change that. Medical professor and meditation teacher Jon Kabat-Zinn explains how one can combat their aversion and, hopefully, become a better, more reasonable person in the meantime.

Jon Kabat-Zinn
Mindfulness: How to Feel Comfortable in Your Own Skin
(run time around 7 minutes)

YouTube Direct Link: https://youtu.be/KEMsXYcSdPM


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mensajes positivos para comenzar la semana.Amigo venezolano,Cucuta

hlj2002 said...

All great quotes, and great video too.

I am particularly drawn to Samuel Sagan's quote. As I read this I see so many things that at times I am guilty of. Sometimes I exist without contentious awareness of what I am doing. For a simple example of something I do all the time, when I leave the office I lock the door and leave. I cannot tell you how many times I think to myself later, I don't remember locking the door, so I have to go back and check it, and it is always locked when I check it. Is that crazy? or is it lack of awareness of my actions... scary!

Disclaimer

All images and text, unless otherwise noted, were taken from the Internet and are assumed to be in the public domain. If you own rights to an image/text and do not wish your image/text to appear on this blog, or would like for credit to be given, please contact me by E-mail or by leaving a comment and the image/text will be removed or credited immediately. aom soul food morning dew does not endorse the content of blogs or sites which link here or which are accessible from this blog. This blog has no commercial intention whatsoever, is not sponsored or payed for. (E-mail Addy: braomATgmx.com )